Hey guys :) I've always wanted to try out body detox routines.. but this doesn't seem to fit my lifestyle, you see? I looooove food (and I'm proud of it.. haha) so maybe a one-week fasting might seem like an eternity of anguish.. torture and self-deprivation on my part. lol. Hence, the result of much Googling-- I came up with some ways to cleanse our bodies, ahem.. of those accumulated toxins that we've managed to heap up over time, without the trouble of liquid diets :)
1. THINK FIBER. It cleanses the colons, thus detoxifying your body, controls blood sugar & cholesterol levels, plus it can manage weight, if taken regularly. Some fiber rich foods are: oats, brown rice, whole wheat, broccoli spinach, cauliflower, avocado, apple, pineapple, carrot, orange, & banana. Although it's expected that we wouldn't be able to eat enough amounts of it (20-35 grams/day), a psyllium-based food supplement can be taken daily :) Try, C-Lium Fiber-- which is available in drugstores nationwide. :)
2. H two the O. One of the most neglected health practice is having enough daily H2O intake. Water is the medium of transport for toxins in the blood, which gets filtered out by the kidneys and flushed out of the body as urine. So an article recommended 3 liters (13 glasses) for men and 2 liters (9 glasses) for women, daily.
3. Zzzz. The body is a well-equipped, detoxifying machine. We only need to give it the time it needs, so sleep! It's the time that the body repairs, cleanses and replenishes itself. For an adult, 7 to 8 hours is recommended. BUT! If your lifestyle permits you, sleep between 8 to 10pm. Experts say that every hour of sleep that you get before midnight is worth 2 hours after midnight. hmmm.. just thinking about this makes me *Yawn*
4. RUB thy SKIN. The skin is the largest organ of our body, it is the one immediately exposed to toxins. So what better way to reward it than to slough-off those dead skin cells. I've read that you can either do a wet exfoliation or a dry brushing of the skin. It unclogs pores, promotes circulation and skin turnover. :)
5. Natural Detoxifiers. There are just some that are well-known as potent detox foods:
- Lemons are the most powerful of all citrus fruits which benefit the liver and kill parasites. Start your mornings with a glass of warm lemon water.
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic and is famous for lowering blood cholesterol levels. Nah, please don't swallow that garlic just yet! There are lots of garlic supplements available over the counter. :)
- Green Tea. We're not talking about the green tea frappe that Starbucks oh so deliciously makes! Of course the healthy drink will only be beneficial if you drink about 3 cups/day.
- Ashitaba Plant.Dubbed as 'Tomorrow Leaves', it originated from the island of Hachijo, Japan where the inhabitants have had Ashitaba as an integral part if their diet and are known for their long lives. For a more detailed info of its benefits, click here.